Please join Sky Foundation’s Support Circle for one-on-one support and personal referrals to additional resources.
WHAT IS PANCREATIC CANCER?
- What type of pancreatic cancer do I have? Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma vs. Neuroendocrine Cancer
- Have you treated pancreatic cancer before? Is it your specialty?
- What has the general outcome of those patients been?
- Do each patient have a full medical care team? Do you assemble it or do I?
WHAT ARE MY TREATMENT OPTIONS?
- What treatments are recommended?
- If this is a surgeon, how many surgeries have you performed on pancreatic cancer patients? Is surgery a possibility to treat this cancer?
- What is Whipple Surgery?
- What can I expect for the recovery of Whipple surgery?
- Are there other treatment options available that you do not provide? (i.e., protocol treatments, herbal therapy, touch therapy, other alternative therapies, clinical trials)
- What are the risks and benefits of each treatment?
- What are the medications being prescribed? What are they for? What are their side effects?
- How should I expect to feel during the treatment(s)?
WHO IS ON YOUR TEAM AND ARE YOU PREPARED FOR LIFE CHANGES?
- What other professionals should I have as part of my medical team?
- Do you recommend a nutritionist?
- Do you recommend a psychologist and therapist?
- Should I do genetic testing? Is this hereditary?
- How will pancreatic cancer affect my quality of life?
- How will pancreatic cancer affect my ability to work?
- What are possible physical limitations?
- Will my current lifestyle be changed?
ARE YOU A PRIORITY FOR YOUR MEDICAL TEAM?
- Does my doctor appear interested in me personally and my diagnosis?
- Do I feel that my doctor cares about my medical outcome?
- Do you have psychological and emotional support? Family and professional support are both important.
- Are you comfortable with your medical team?
- Have you had an additional consultation with another doctor? Should I get a second or a third opinion?
- Most importantly, take an additional person to your medical appointments and record doctor/patient conversation so you can go back and review the provided information.
ADDITIONAL EMOTIONAL AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT RESOURCES
- Join Sky Foundation Pancreatic Cancer Community Support Circle on facebook. It is a community created to provide hope and share information between all touched by pancreatic cancer. It provides a safe space to share information, experiences, personal journeys and more.
- Life After Whipple Series (This is a virtual seminar highlighting issues that survivors face after the Whipple Surgery with Q & A following the presentation.)
- Information on the importance of genetic counseling, testing, locations nationwide and financial support, go to My Fault Gene.
- For additional financial and emotional support, additional resources are available New Day Foundation and Imerman Angels.
- Additional questions and resources available on cancer.net.
- Other non-profit financial and legal resources available.
- It always difficult when you or someone close to you is diagnosed with cancer. It is critical to have support for the patient, the family and friends during this difficult time. Here are a two resources in the metropolitan Detroit area that offer various support groups to help you through your journey.